Radon is an invisible gas that cannot be detected by our primary senses like sight, smell, and hearing. In North America, this gas is the second leading cause of lung cancer, right after tobacco use. It’s a silent killer that slowly destroys the soft tissue in your lungs, which can cause cancerous cells to form.

Since the lungs are the organ most affected by gas poisoning, most of the symptoms will affect the respiratory system. If you suddenly experience lung symptoms or have suspicions that radon gas is causing the issues, consult a doctor. Many of the symptoms overlap with other conditions. If you smoke and radon is detected in your home, it’s best to quit smoking as well.

Radon forms when uranium deep below the Earth’s surface begins to break down. Once the breakdown begins, it can rise through the soil and seep through sump pumps, sewers, basements, piping, and crawl spaces. While it’s not completely avoidable, steps can be taken to fix the issue. You might be thinking, “How in the world am I supposed to know if something is there that I can’t see or smell”?

Luckily, a certified home inspector can test the air quality with a Radon detector. Testing typically takes a minimum of 48 hours but long-term testing can last up to 90 days. A professional can tell you where the leak is coming from, which can allow you to seal the area off. Better ventilation can also help control rising levels of gas in the home.

Contact us today if you suspect radon in your home.